“I am committed to a review of the minimum wage” and 5 other things Buhari said at inauguration of advisory committee
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, January 9, inaugurated a technical advisory committee on the implementation of the national minimum wage at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
The issue of new minimum wage has been one of the contentious issues in recent times as Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) is demanding for N30,000 minimum wage for Nigerian workers.
Legit.ng recalls six things Buhari said at the inauguration of the committee:
- The last time Nigeria’s national minimum wage was reviewed was in 2011. It is therefore evident that a review is necessary, despite the prevailing fiscal challenges. This is why I constituted the Tripartite Committee of Government, Organized Private Sector and Labour to consider the national minimum wage and make recommendations to government for its upward review.
- That committee has since submitted its report with some recommendations. We are currently working on the final steps that will lead to the submission of a National Minimum Wage Amendment Bill to the National Assembly.
- I want to make it clear that there is no question about whether the national minimum wage will be reviewed upwards. I am committed to a review of the minimum wage.
- As you know we, at the federal level, have made adequate provision for the increase in the minimum wage in our 2019 Budget proposals which we submitted to the National Assembly. Therefore, we will be able to meet the additional costs that will be incurred in moving up all personnel who are currently earning below the new minimum wage.
- However, we anticipate that after the new minimum wage has been passed into law we will be going into negotiations for salary review for all the workers who are already earning above the new minimum wage. It is therefore important that we are properly prepared to meet these demands.
- Given the urgency of this exercise, the committee is expected to complete its deliberations and submit its report and recommendations within one month today.
Credit to the Original Source link